Thursday 20 October 2016

#63: Preparing to spread Nurgle's Love!

Two Thousand Points.

It sounds like a decent chunk of points. Seems like a reasonable sized force. Until you realise just how much you get for 2000 points. It's a lot! 

The 2k tournament I was attending required everything to be painted. Easier said than don; even my expansive Beastmen army didn't reach in any form of cohesive strategic purpose! My Bloodbound was only painted to about 1200 points, so I raided the spare room for painted armies. I ended up dragging out my Harbingers of Decay, and seeing what I could do with them. 

First port of call was a warscroll battalion; specifically the Cohort of Nurgle. This pretty much built half of my army for me. I took the obligatory Great Unclean One as my general, who took the Chaos Artefact that gifted him yet another wound to add to his considerable survivability. 
 
He was supported by a Herald of Nurgle, carrying my second artefact (thanks to the battalion) which gifted him an additional attack to his Balesword. 

Three units of Plaguebearers filled my compulsary Battleline slots, as well as nearly fitting into the Cohort. Two units of ten would act as objective holders/screening units, while a big unit of twenty would provide me with a solid core around which to assemble my host. 

Lastly, I had the choice between a unit of Beasts, Drones or Nurglings. I had plans for Beasts elsewhere, and Nurglings didn't really have a place in the list, so three Drones joined the party. 

The Cohort offers two special rules. Firstly, all models in the Cohort have an aura of Rot, Glorious Rot, which can dish out mortal wounds to close by enemies. Secondly, and far more importantly, I may re-roll all 1s for saves. Given that every model in the Cohort already has Disgustingly Resilient (or an equivalent special rule), it made this solid core incredibly tough to damage! Just the way Nurgle likes it...

With the remainder of my points, I had plenty on the shopping list. Epidemus is almost a must-include in mono-Nurgle armies, as were two units of four tough-as-nails Beasts!

Lastly, I dropped in a Soul Grinder, using my Forge World Greater Unclean one as the perfect proxy. 

With my pool of points well and truly exhausted, I was quick to form strategies. This army lent itself toward character support, so I naturally formed the army into 3 "pods", self contained elements that compliment each other with combos. 

The first was my GUO and twenty plague bearers. His magic support could really help them, and gave me a solid anchor for my centre. 

The second consisted of the Herald and both units of Beasts. The Herald's proximity opens up the opportunity to hand out double damage, making them a terrifying spearhead capable of immense damage output. 

The last contained Epidemus, the Drones (who, like the beasts, get damage bonuses for being near a Plaguebearer Hero) the Soul Grinder and 10 Plaguebearers. These Plaguebearers filled the role of protecting Epi, while the Soul Grinder was my bullet magnet to draw important or powerful elements in the opposing force away from important battlefield locations. 

This left one unit of Plaguebearers free to fill whatever role needs filling, perhaps sitting on an objective, clogging up a movement lane, etc...
I didn't know if this army would work, but I was gonna put up the roughest, toughest fight I could. 

Thanks for reading,
Gabe

No comments:

Post a Comment