Sunday 28 May 2017

#88: Build me an army worthy of the Mortal Realms...

On this quiet Sunday night, as I sit and ponder what topic to dedicate this post to, my mind wanders.

Blood Bowl has received their second wave of teams. Goblins look great, as well as a handful of old vintage teams being Made to Order.

Warhammer 40k is dropping serious heat leading into the new ruleset. Rules are dropping by the day, faction focuses are coming in hot and fast, and every faction looks greater than the last! Still no Grey Knight teasers, but my time will come...

Photos of the new starter set are available. My gosh! Ridiculously solid starter set! That Death Guard half of the starter set is actually ridiculous. The Plague Marines are absolutely perfect, and that Lord of Nurgle is by far the coolest and staunchest Chaos model I've yet seen.

Warhammer Fest is in full swing and photos are trickling through with plenty of beautiful Custode and Sisters of Silence units are looking fresh.

And thats when a little bit of blood started trickling out of my nose. The speed and velocity of releases is actually mental!

But all that is in the future. I don't like to get too far ahead of myself, particularly with rumours and the likes, so this week, I wanted to focus on something that I did get my hands on!

Warhammer Skirmish!

This 40-page compact little release dropped in the lull before the 40k storm, and its great! One of the best things about it is its cost (AUD$16), which is not only very cheap, but also opens up an avenue for a cheap way to play. This book has clawed that cost of entry down to the basement and gave it a good one-two with a sack of oranges. Games Workshop has been very open about the fact that they wanted this game to be something that a customer could buy and be playing a game from scratch that same day.

It has points in the back of the book for all of the plastic kits available in store, and after some basic number crunching, its really not too hard to adapt points costs to units not included in the list. There are new scenarios, new command traits, new artefacts, even a small campaign; just a neat little bundle of content!

However, there is one huge problem I have with this release. One blindingly massive problem.

Since the dawn of time (a.k.a. when I first got into the hobby), there has been a constant battle of wills between my determination to finish projects and my attention span (which is on par with that of a hyperactive sparrow). And when you combine that constant battle with my love for Age of Sigmar, you can see my problem…

Then Games Workshop goes and releases this! Not only can I flitter between projects at will and at minimum cost, but it works on every level! I can now tackle factions that I love the look of, but don't want to buy a whole army. As if it wasn't bad enough that I couldn't focus on an army for more than four and a half minutes in a row, now I can actually tackle a complete project in that tiny window of time. Games Workshop has recognised my problem, and they've released the exact product to enable me.

And, now that I've put it into words… I'm totally ok with it.

This has opened up an absolute ton of creative projects that I'm keen to work on. When all I need to paint is 10, maybe 12 models? I can work on some war bands with really strong themes; which brings me to my very first project. Destruction.

I've always loved the Ironjaws range, but it's never been enough motivation to do a full 2000pt army. The first thing I wanted was a colour scheme that I've not tackled before. I've never painted an army with black armour. What goes well with black? White! Ok, so white as a secondary colour. Perhaps some strips of checkers, some logos; perhaps something simple like… a white hand. And perhaps my Weirdnob Shaman could be an empire wizard robed all in white.

And so the idea was born for Saruman and his Orruk-Hai. Not gonna lie, I'm actually really looking forward to tackling it. I haven't settled on my 50 Renown war band yet, but I'll settle on something soon!

Are you creating a war band? What faction? What theme?

Thanks for reading!
Gabe

P.S: Got a sneaky little battle report next week for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment