Monday 13 April 2015

#16: Opening a very large door.

With Easter break being well and truly over, I had the privilege of having ten days off in which to enjoy the company of family and friends, as well as sneaking in some gaming and more than a little bit of painting. This window of time has allowed me to catch up on my High Elves, which is a relief as I felt I was slipping behind schedule. 

The easiest way to paint a huge chunk of points very quickly is to paint a lord-level character, and High Elf lords are not on the cheap side. I debated a lot as to what character to use as my fleet's admiral, and after a lot of thought, and a particularly bad ass model, I settled on a Loremaster of Hoeth. The reasons for this decision are threefold; firstly, in game, a wizard having eight spells, none of which are terrible and all of which are pretty low casting, is incredibly hard to defend against. From a boosted fireball stripping entire ranks of a regiment, to sniping expensive characters with Spirit Leech or Searing Doom, he has the tools to play a part in any situation the battle might present him with.

Secondly, he's not too shabby in combat, compared to your typical wizard (those Chaos sorcerer jerks aside). With a few very cheap magic items, he can become a true beast in combat, which in my mind goes a small way towards compensating for his very high points cost! 

Thirdly, and what sold me on the Loremaster was the fact that the background behind him. As a knowledgable wizard, a masterful warrior, and a learned academic, he fits perfectly into the role of Admiral, a well travelled hero who has taken my Mage, Caelithir, under his tutelage to impart his extensive wisdom upon the young (for an elf) Mage. 

He is not my only finished unit either! I filled out the Swordmasters to ten with full command. I also focused some attention on two of the old metal Eagles, that I acquired from a friend. I've chosen to paint these with the markings of a Pale Sea Hawk, getting far too invested in the little details! But the end result will be worth it!

In other news, I'd love to share with you a big decision that I've made. I've decided to expand the games content of the blog into 40k. It won't be any kind of shift away from Fantasy by any means, instead broadening horizons into another great game, complete with its own background, lore and an incredibly huge model range, far surpassing the fantasy range. 

Generally, the plan is to alternate between Fantasy and 40k each week, and I would love to expand the blog in both directions! 

I think this will be a positive decision, and am really excited to showcase more and more hobby, both of mine and of you, the reader!

I'd love to hear any feedback you might have, and as always, thanks for reading.

Gabriel 

No comments:

Post a Comment