Sunday 5 February 2017

#75: The Brisbane Revolution....

If you live in south-east Queensland, and you play Age of Sigmar, you are part of one of the fastest-developing, most directional community in wargaming that I have seen in a long time! I will go out and say it...

Brisbane is going through a revolution, where the whole dynamic of the Age of Sigmar community is shifting; focusing. 

For me, the release of the GHB and Matched Play changed the game completely. It changed from a very fluid, organic (some would say dysfunctional) gaming experience into one with structure, form and purpose. Competitiveness had returned, no longer in the form of who owned the craziest models, but in the form of who could craft a cohesive force and then back it up by having great tactical acumen and strategic instincts after the dice started rolling. 

This on its own changed the whole feel and, to my pleasant surprise, not in a bad way. 

With this wave of competition came tournaments. I've said before and I'll say again, that the tournaments run by two of Brisbane's Warhammer Stores (Capalaba and Brisbane City stores, to be precise) in cooperation have been among the best events I have had the privilege of attending. These events on their own developed a great following in a gentlemanly atmosphere. 

Shortly after, came the Redland City Grand Tournament, which was wildly successful! 

Last year was pretty solid as far as tournaments go. But let me tell you...

You ain't seen nothing yet!

2017 will hands down be the biggest year of tournaments in our part of the world since Age of Sigmar was born! Not only are Alistair and Blake continuing their highly successful chain of events, Redland City GT will once again be held, as well as two other large events nursing onto the scene in style! BrisCon (a Heralds of War event) and Brisbane City Grand Tournament. Excitingly enough, The Rune Axe Wargaming will actually be a sponsor of the Brisbane City GT, so I'm very much looking forward to that! Both should be fantastic events!

But among the most exciting things to arrive on the AOS tournament scene  is easily the introduction of Australian National Rankings! This scratches that itch to know just how good you are at the game compared to the rest of the country! Not only that, but at the end of each Tournament season, the best sixteen players in the country will be invited to Australian Masters, a tournament to truly determine who is the best of the best in our fine country's wargaming community! This is all being spearheaded by the Heralds of War Podcast.  

What a time to be alive. 

It looks like an exciting few months ahead, as I'm in the process of planning out my Tournament Route. I'm by no means expecting to make Masters, but I'm interested to see where I can rank at the end of the season, and of course, set the bar for myself in coming years!

Hopefully, you too will do the same and join me in the battle for nationwide supremacy! 

Speaking of which, in the not-too-distant future, I'll be doing an interview with the player currently ranked #1 in Australia to pick his brains about how to challenge the best to become the best, as well as his advice on army construction, tactics and the ever-evolving state of this game we all love! Keep an eye out for it; it should be a great opportunity!

As always, thanks for reading,
Gabe

No comments:

Post a Comment