Friday 17 July 2015

#31: The Bringers of Contagion

To finish an army is the holy grail of hobby. We strive for completion and so often, that is unattainable because of our insatiable thirst for power and expansion regarding any one army or combinations of armies. However, I have done such a task! I have finished painting an army in its entirety! My 'Nurgle Bus', the Bringers of Contagion. 

This has been a long working progress which started years ago as a full metal army, which included something ridiculous like eighty of the old classic Plaguebearers. I do regret that sale, but here we are. This was my fantasy tournament army for quite a while because, quite frankly, Nurgle is brutal. 
My general, the classic Great Unclean One, has had very little table time. After upgrades needed to make him (for lack of a better word) 'viable', he weighed in at a hefty 580 points!! Almost a quarter of my army tied up in one cannon-friendly model! For this reason, I would field him very rarely. I always had to fight the temptation to run him, however, as he is my only source of magic aside from level one heralds of Nurgle, who are far too expensive to be practical! This model is an impressive one though, being heavy enough to club your opponent's precious Warp Lightning Cannon to pieces should it get a lucky turn one shot and kill him outright (yes, this happened and yes, my opponent laughed for about ten minutes straight). 

He is surrounded by eighteen bases of Nurglings, which baffles me. I don't know why I have so many! They are a mix of the hilarious and characterful ones of yesteryear as well as many of the plastic ones that adorn so many of nurgle's sprues! 
No self respecting Nurgle army would be complete without Epidemus, the evil mastermind behind the brutal synergy of the list! His Tally in both Fantasy and Age of Sigmar is incredibly powerful, and my opponent is always in a mad rush to intoduce him to death. This is a converted depiction, as I neither had the cash at the time to purchase the actual model, but more importantly, I didn't feel the Epidemus model 'fit in' to the aesthetics of the newer Nurgle models! So, combining three kits, I made my own!
Drones are the most recent unit to join the ranks of Nurgle's children, and they are brilliant (albeit disgusting) models! I only have three, and while I wasn't opposed to expanding the unit, my main focus was to include at least one of each Nurgle unit, and I achieved that. 
Plaguebearers are such a solid unit! Toughness 4 (at least to begin the game) and Strength 4 is very respectable, and while initiative two is pretty pathetic, Mark of Nurgle and a convenient ward save mitigate much of the damage suffered before they swing. Not to mention, the Locus of Virulence allows them to poison on a 5, greatly increasing their chances of wounding instantly. Interestingly, thanks to a little magic, this can be increased to a 4+, meaning that against almost everything, every hit will wound! I use these solid blocks of infantry as anchors and support units in my army, forming the second wave right behind my shock troops...
Beasts of Nurgle. The stars of every Nurgle army ever. These guys are hands down the best Special choice in the book! There, I said it. They are that good. T5, 4 wounds and regeneration make them all but impossible to shift, and their D6+1 attacks each stack up quicker than you could imagine. Not to mention, they are fast and can issue challenges, tying up units in prolonged combat where they probably don't want to be. Having no flank or rear also helps when it comes to instability. And before you say it, yes. I admit I did a pretty cheap job of converting them. I would have loved to have twelve of the actual Beast models, but they are single pose, and incredibly expensive in bulk and at the time, I simply could not afford it. They are not conversions I am particularly proud of, but I think they fulfil the role with appropriate size and appearance of strength, towering above the surrounding models. Well, not ALL the surrounding models...
Lastly, and definitely most significantly, is this big dog! I really wanted an excuse to use this guy, and so he often fills the role of my Nurgle Soul Grinder, being roughly the same size and definitely imposing enough! This guy was a joy to paint, and makes for an impressive centrepiece for the army!

Do you have an army that you would like showcased? Hit me up on Facebook! 

I hope you enjoyed this display and I look forward to seeing your work as well, regardless of game or genre. 

Thanks for reading, 

Gabriel 







No comments:

Post a Comment