Monday 31 August 2015

#36: Hobby Butterfly...

I'm going to be honest. My desk has projects from seven different armies. I have a pair of Rat Ogres to add to Clan Itchit, a Devastator Squad from my Crimson fists, an Ork Warboss for an upcoming 40k campaign, a handful of Slannesh Hellstriders for my Warriors army, a Word Bearers Helbrute, a total of eleven Necron Destroyers and a smattering of models from a variety of other projects. 

I'm really struggling to hold focus on a single project at the moment. 

But enough about my attention span and its shortness. 

Let's talk about upcoming stuff! Next week is Stage 2 of our 40k army builder challenge. 500 points, including your big, bad warlord! I'm optimistic that I'll actually hit this deadline! I have minor details left to touch up on the Devastator squad, packing four missile launchers, then just their dedicated Razorback to click over that 500pt mark! 

One big project that I am about to embark on is building a gaming table and painting up a full table's worth of terrain. Terrain is one thing that often gets neglected in this hobby, where so much focus is naturally upon the models and not their environment. 

I've been tossing up what landscape to focus on. Turns out that my armies made this choice very easily. My Grey Knights, Crimson Fists and Necrons are all based in desert schemes. So, a sandy desert world my table shall be!

The plan is to have the board in two rough 'halves'. One end will be a heavily defended, trench-heavy defence line. I will probably use a lot of Wall of Martyr products as well as a few supply dumps, weapon caches and fuel depots. The other half will be scattered with craters, tank traps, razor wire and a few shattered ruins to represent no-mans-land on some far-flung battlefield. Hopefully this table will look like a well thought out scene, rather than just a table with some hodge-podge terrain spaced out here and there.  

I'll probably invest in a desert Fat Mat, purely because they are affordable, practical and they look amazing! A lot of Youtubers and Vloggers use them, and it's easy to see why. 

This leads me to my next piece of news, and by far the most exciting announcement I've had the pleasure of making in the history of the blog. I, and a small team of people, are going to be launching into the big, new world of video content! This ties a lot of recent decisions together, as I'm prioritising a gaming table, painting up armies to a high standard and decent points level. It's going to be a big challenge, but hopefully we can conquer each challenge that comes our way! This is a decision that is for the community! I want to get people involved and play some great games and showcase some great armies! 

Apologies to everyone as well for my pervcieved absence! Facebook being what it is, some articles have not had the coverage they usually receive! But fear not, I'm not going anywhere soon. 

Thanks for reading,
Gabriel

No comments:

Post a Comment