Thursday 2 June 2016

#50: The Brayherd marches to war...

Well, I was quietly minding my own business, painting a little bit of this and a little bit of that; no plans for any upcoming tournaments, no deadlines...

Then, all of a sudden, I found myself in a doubles Age of Sigmar tournament! Originally, I had planned to attend the event, but all spots were booked up, so I had resigned myself to not being able to go, and instead, focussed on other projects, such as my Blood Angel army that's in the works. But at the last minute, one team dropped out, leaving a vacancy available for myself and a mate. 

So. I had three days to rebase elements of my old Beastmen army into a cohesive force. My teammate and I were given 35 points each to spend, using the SCGT system. My partner chose to bring his dwarfs, led by a terrifying Magmadroth! I went for the trusty Brayherd. 

My first choice in every Sigmar list I write is, of course, my general. In this case, I was chomping at the bit to field Morghur, a model I had been chasing ever since it went out of production and only just got around to painting. 

I think he's a solid character. He can cast twice a phase, comes with a neat assassination spell, and has a great ability that protects him against shooting and magic, forcing people to tackle the herd head on if they want to slay the wily shaman. He also can turn a nearby model into a spawn, but this only works on a 4+ and you lose the friend regardless... Unsure if I will end up using it or not. 

Next, I wanted a centre piece model, and Herman the Giant was an easy choice! He doesn't cost too many points, poses a serious threat and offers a solid counter to dangerous units that I might come up against. 

Being painfully aware of my low model count, I dumped a ton of points (16 in total) on a twenty-man Bestigor herd. These guys are about the best infantry available to Beastmen. They come with heaps of attacks, a valuable rend, and a huge threat range! These guys can run and charge, and get bonuses to their movement, giving me the ability to lash out and strike where I choose. While they only have one wound each, they are heavily armoured and with a well timed Mystic Shield, they could prove to be quite the tenacious foe. 

With my magic presence covered, and two serious combat threats to go head to head with the opposing battle lines, I was left with only four points. My first instinct was to bring ten Ungor Raiders to give me some range, but I just didn't think they would have the impact I'm chasing, so I ended up settling for two individual Tuskgor Chariots, who will be my utility units, either intercepting threats, assisting my other units on big charges or running down smaller units. 
The army had to be fully painted, but luckily all I really had to do was a little rebasing to get the army table-ready. The chariots are converted from Mournfang, from an age where I couldn't actually get my hands on the original (very dated) models), but I think they represent the profile well!

Fear not, I shall document the whole event with battle reports that I will publish as quickly as possible! Hopefully you enjoy checking out Age of Sigmar in a structured setting before the General's Handbook is released. This will be my first SCGT event, but I've heard great things about it, and I'm really looking forward to playing this great game! 

What do you guys think of the Herd? What are your go-to units at the moment?

Thanks for reading, check back in soon!
Gabriel

No comments:

Post a Comment