Sunday 14 April 2019

#170: Championship Heat 1 Battle Report - Game 1: Legion of Azgorh Vs. Ironjawz

The first Championship Heat was finally here, and I was debuting my Legion of Azgorh at 2000 points! I'd finished painting it the night before, and went into the day on a good night's sleep and a true tournament breakfast of iced coffee.

Once the general introduction to the tournament was done and dusted, I launched into my first game against none other than local player Connor and his gold-armoured Ironjaws.

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Mortal Realm: Chamon

Leaders:

Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (General, Ironclad, Gildenbane)
Gordrakk, The Fist of Gork
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman
Orruk Warchanter (The Golden Toof)

Battleline:

10 Orruk Ardboys
5 Orruk Brutes
3 Gore-Gruntas

Battalion:

Ironfist

Endless Spells:

Chronomantic Cogs

Total: 1940

The scenarios were all randomly generated, and the first one off the rank was Border War. This was alright by me, as I had a significant numbers advantage. I was pretty confident that I could push onto the middle objectives and hold them if I could drop the two cabbages early on. I was also pretty confident in the K'Daai putting work in, thanks to their ethereal 5+ save, that would allow me to shrug a lot of the Rend-focussed attacks of the Brutes and Krushas.
My deployment was nothing too special. Connor only had five drops, so I had the luxury of being able to line up favourable units with their targets. I screened most of my army with Warhounds, knowing that the two cabbages would be charging in hot, trying to smash off everything they could. The Cannons and Daemonsmith were pretty central on my back objective, in such a way that (with a bit of shuffling) they could shoot at anything that contested the two middle objectives. From there, the K'Daai took the left flank, while the Skullcracker and Taur'ruk teamed up to cover the right flank, having only 10 Ard Boys and a Shaman to challenge them. If I could chew through their wounds quickly, I could comfortably hold that objective with two pretty durable models. 
Connor took first turn, and launched across the board with everything, capping both middle objectives, and lining up both cabbages for big charges! Unfortunely, only Gordrakk made it in, and while he comfortably smashed up the warhounds, the Dairy Queen and Skullcracker gave him a proper beat-down, bringing him to within a couple of wounds of death. 

In my turn one, the Dawi Zharr unleashed hell! 
Both Magma Cannons unloaded into the Ard Boys across the battlefield, enjoying the extended range from the nearby Daemonsmith. The screen of Fireglaives shot their rifles into Gordrakk and slayed the mighty hero, while...
...the K'Daai combo-charged the Gore-Gruntas on the objective and the Maw-Krusha who failed his charge and found himself stranded in no-mans-land. I was sure to keep the Sorcerer Lord on Steed within 6" for those handy little command abilities, but managed to charge the unit in such a way that all 12 models could put their attacks into something. 3" reach allowed me to put four into the Gruntas and drag down a pig, while the eight Fireborn that targeted the Maw-Crusha roasted him to a crisp in a single combat phase. Two cabbages dead in the first turn had swung the flow of battle heavily in my favour! I was only able to cap the left objective in the middle of the board, but I was in a commanding position. 
In Connor's turn two, the Shaman turned the Cogs to give himself a re-rollable save, while the Ard Boys charged headlong into the riflemen, slaying three. The Brutes on the other side of the board charged in to Duff Up the Big Things with their Grunta buddies and killed three through sheer weight of attacks! 
At the end of turn two, the K'Daai managed to kill off the last two Grunta's and all of the Brutes with minimal casualties in return, while the Warhounds on my flank decided to charge on in and surround the Warchanter! They managed to chip off three wounds, but lost a dog in return. 

On my right flank, the Cannons shot the remaining Ard Boys off the table, freeing up the remaining Fireglaives to shoot the nearby Shaman to death. 

In turn three, the Warhounds lost another two of their number, but managed to drag down and feast on the Warchanter. With his death, the Legion of Azgorh claimed victory! 

I was pretty impressed with the K'Daai Fireborn unit, as they single-handedly dispatched of the Gruntas, Brutes and Maw-Krusha, showing just how much damage they're capable of inflicting on multiple targets! 

This win left me with a major win, and max kill points. The match ups between each round were, as far as I could tell, random within each bracket. This meant that going into round two, all the players who won their first game went into a random draw. This pitted me against Dion for a battle of the ages against a bitter enemy.

Dispossessed!

Thanks for reading, and check back in soon for Game 2! 
Gabe


No comments:

Post a Comment